Summer Movies in the Park are back! Check out this list of places to watch movies in the park in Long Beach and the surrounding areas for cheap family fun every week, all summer long!
One of our favorite family traditions each summer is to walk to our local park to watch a movie.
Long Beach goes all out with their Movies in the Park program. They bring in a GIANT inflatable screen, free popcorn, and often a couple of vendors to show family friendly movies three times a week, EVERY week, all summer long!
Not only does the City of Long Beach come correct with their summer movie in the park offerings, but several neighboring cities and local organizations do, too.
So if you’re looking for movies in the park (or on the beach!) this summer, we’ve got the complete list of where to find them (and how to watch them!)
This post contains affiliate links. As Amazon Associates, we earn from qualifying purchases. You can read more at our disclosures page. Thanks!
Tips for Summer Movies in the Park in Long Beach
We’ve actually never had a bad experience with summer movies in the park here in Long Beach. They’re pretty no fuss and low stress, as far as movies go!
But there are a few things you should keep in mind-
- Get there early. Not only can parking be a real struggle at some parks, but there is often entertainment for kids before the show. Our kids seem to have the most fun running around with friends BEFORE the movie starts.
- Bring Snacks. Yes, popcorn will likely be provided (at least at the City of Long Beach offerings). But our kids still get plenty hungry. BYO popcorn, drinks, and candy to keep kids entertained throughout the movie.
- Bring lawn chairs. You can definitely get by with a blanket (we like this one), but kids will be so much more comfortable in kids’ camping chairs. Littler kids will probably be most comfortable in their strollers.
- Bring bug spray. Look, it’s after dark in summer time. Mosquitos may see these events as a buffet experience. Bring bug spray to keep your kiddos safe from being bit (we actually love this bug cream or these little bug repelling towelettes over the spray)
- Don’t plan to stay the whole time. These movies start late for little kids. Don’t expect the under-5 set to make it through the whole thing. Make a contingency plan that allows your older kids to stay when the little ones wear out.
City of Long Beach Summer Movies in the Park
Our favorite, easiest offering of the summer: the Movies in the Park run by the City of Long Beach.
These movies run three days a week all summer long. The same movie plays all week long, but at three different locations.
These movies are free, generally include free popcorn, and pre-Covid, had entertainment for the kids beforehand (fun stuff like bouncers and obstacle courses). The summer of 2021 saw a return of the movies, but not of the kids’ entertainment beforehand. We’ll see what this summer brings!
Here is the Movies in the Park schedule for the City of Long Beach:
- Week 1: Encanto
- June 20 – Signal Hill
- June 22 – Admiral Kidd
- June 24 – Lincoln Park
- Week 2: Boss Baby: Family Business
- June 27-DeForest
- June 29-MacArthur
- July 1-Veterans
- Week 3: The Addams Family 2
- July 6 Stearns Champions
- July 8-Somerset
- Week 4: Space Jam (2021)
- July 11-Bixby
- July 13-Chavez
- July 15-Atlantic Plaza
- July 16-Signal Hill
- Week 5: Clifford
- July 18-Scherer
- July 20-College Estates
- July 22-Wardlow
- Week 6: Shang Chi and the 10 Rings
- July 25-Marina Vista
- July 27-Houghton
- July 29 -McBride
- Week 7: Sing 2
- August 1-Whaley
- August 3-Orizaba
- August 5 Grace
- Week 8: Jumanji- The Next Level
- August 8-King
- August 10-Pan American
- August 12-Signal Hill
- Week 9: Soul
- August 15-Silverado
- August 17-Drake
- August 19-Ramona
- Week 10: Luca
- August 22-Cherry
- August 24-Coolidge
- August 26-El Dorado
Moonlight Movies on the Beach (& Beyond!)
Moonlight Movies on the Beach are back this year, and they’re moving beyond the beach!
This year, movies will be shown on the beach or at either of the Long Beach City College Campuses. This will bring movies closer to many neighborhoods, and improve accessibility for many.
Bring a little money for vendors, and get there early for the best parking and seating.
Movies start at dusk (around 8 pm)
Here’s the schedule:
- May 26 – Moana – LBCC Pacific Coast Campus (PCH & Orange)
- June 21 – Coco – Granada Beach
- June 28 – Black Widow – Granada Beach
- June 30 – Cruella – LBCC Liberal Arts Campus (Clark & Carson)
- July 7 – Wall E – LBCC Pacific Coast Campus
- July 12 – Goonies – Granada Beach
- July 14 – Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban – LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
- July 19 – Dirty Dancing – Granada Beach
- July 21 – Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl – LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
- July 26 – Encanto – Granada Beach
- August 2 – Weird Science – Granada Beach
- August 4 – Spiderman No Way Home -LBCC Pacific Coast Campus
- August 9 – Luca – Granada Beach
- August 11 – Star Wars Rogue One -LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
- August 16 – The Princes Bride – Granada Beach
- August 18 – The Wizard of Oz – LBCC Liberal Arts Campus
Los Alamitos Movies in the Park
Los Alamitos typically puts out a nice summer showing, both in Movies in the Park and Summer Concerts.
Full details haven’t been released yet, but we’ll update here as soon as they are!
Carson Movies in the Park
Carson brings classic movies to Mills Park for six Fridays in June and July. Movies start at dusk, and donations are suggested.
Bring a lawn chair or blanket, and BYO Snacks.
Here’s what’s showing this summer:
- June 17th: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- June 24th: Up
- July 8th: The Bad News Bears
- July 15: Jungle Book (2016)
- July 22: Jurassic Park
- July 29: Soul
Summer Movies in the Park in Long Beach (and beyond) are a wonderful way to have some cheap family fun this summer. And with LOTS to choose from, it could quickly become a part of your regular rotation.
Do you know of any movies in the park that we’ve missed? Let us know in the comments and we’ll add them to the list!
Looking for more cheap family fun this summer? Head here next-